Monday, January 31, 2011

Managing PCOS and how Green Day got its name

When I was 18, I was diagnosed with polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS), and promptly put on birth control to control my symptoms. Later, I was inspired to do some research on the pill I was taking (I am a scientist, and so I rarely take what people say as fact without doing some research on it first), and I discovered that it does thin the lining of the uterus to prevent implantation. I immediately stopped taking my pill, and started researching natural family planning programs. Since I have a history of PCOS, I went to some forums and searched the best methods, and Creighton Model was consistently the most trusted. I attended the introductory session a few weeks later and was on board with my wonderful Certified FertilityCare Practitioner Elizabeth. I'm still learning how to manage my PCOS, but I really love charting and knowing exactly what's going on in my body. My husband was reluctant (but supportive) at first, but he is slowly starting to participate in the process ("Is today a green day?!"...he is now convinced that that's how the band "Green Day" got their name). I find it hard to contain my enthusiasm about it, and so almost everyone I work with probably knows a little too much information about my cycle! We have thus far been using Creighton Model to prevent pregnancy, but are getting excited to use it to achieve pregnancy. A couple we met at our church actually told us that they had been struggling for years to get pregnant, and that it wasn't until they started Creighton Model that they made their beautiful baby girl!

- Stephanie from Texas

No comments:

Post a Comment